Friday, September 18, 2009

Jungle trekking up Bukit Pelindung

Saturday-12 September. As part of my athlectic team's off season trainning, I gathered 9 young athletes to add variation to their routine training at Stadium Darul makmur, Kuantan.
After prior arrangements had been made, other than two students whom I fetched,the rest had arrived at the waiting point by the bridge at Telok Chempedak by 7.30 am.
After a simple warm-up session, we started off along the plank walk leading to "Telok Tongkang" Bay. The boys were in all bubbly and anticipating a new experience- jungle trekking for the first time. (Only Kumaravel had joined me in another trip a month earlier )
The first hour was easy walking as the route was mostly flat but the second part was more challenging as the climb up Pelindung began. Our route to Bukit Pelindung was via Beserah. Here, I instructed the boys to go at their own pace while I acted as the sweeper.
An interesting incident occurred half way up the hill as the first group encountered a huge wild boar- the boys panicked and bolted down to get me. Well. you cannot blame 13 and 14 year old students..
After we reached the Telecom Tower, we headed to the RTM tower, where the second high-light of the trip was to uncover. Before this, however, I held a simple "Raja Bukit run from the saddle point to the RTM gate. Tersame Singh emerged the champion. Next, it was simple detour of RTM fence to the watch tower, or rather platform. For the first time, the boys got a bird's eye view of the majestic Kuantan Town. There was clearly an air of excitement in the air as the boys became excited while I pointed out some of the land marks of Kuantan Town.
After a simple breakfast of fried noodles -thanks to Kesav's mother, we headed down to Telok Chempedak via the "denai " trail. As we approached the sea, the front liners increased their paces and finally everyone was at the bridge by 11.45 am.
As I had important task, I left thereafter while the boys had a dip in the sea under the watchful eyes of Kesav's mother. I understood the the boys finally went back at 2 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment